Get PINK ON PURPOSE

Get PINK ON PURPOSE
GET PINK ON PURPOSE

Sunday, January 9, 2011

What do Eye of the Tiger, Don't Stop Believing and Let's Groove have in common?

Well, aside from all being songs from the 1980's they all happen to be on my short list of songs I am considering for my Theme Song for 2011.

Or 0-11 as I like to call it.

There are a few others that I was considering like Pat Benetar's Shadows of the Night and Major Tom by Peter Schilling.

Why a theme song you may be thinking.

Well, I have never had one before and really, music is such a motivator, much more so than any motivational speaker or self-help novel could ever be.

Music is what sets the tone for the love scenes, dramatic confessions and eerie creepy scary slashers in movies.
You can tell what is about to happen by the music that is playing.
It lets you know that the outcome was favorable or dramatic or controversial.

Music is the force that drives teens. It is what helps them to find an indentity and sense of self.
It provides a topic of discussion that otherwise socially awkward children can use to break the ice and make friends.

It allows millions to let out their feelings by singing along at the top of their lungs while driving to and from work every day.

Music is the driving force for life the world in which we live.

So, a theme song seems like a good idea.

All the great TV shows and movies have theme songs that are easily recognizable.
M*A*S*H - Suicide is Painless is such a depressing title but... it is easily identified
ROCKY- all 6 movies btw
Jaws- I still have to ear shoes in the ocean and am constantly on look out for sharks!
The Pink Panther- an awesomely awesome cartoon from my childhood and series of really good movies

And so my search for a personal theme song has begun, began, beginned?

Something rugged like Rocky?
Definitely NOT something slow and painfully depressing like M*A*S*H.
A little not-so-subtle positive reinforcement like Journey's Don't Stop Believing?
A science fictional trip into space to remind me to keep my feet on the ground while my head is in the clouds?
Or a little diddy to remind me that no matter what, I am not alone, no matter how deep the shadows in the night, I have HeMan Hubby to take my hand and walk through them with me?

I think that maybe my theme song is not a single song, but perhaps it is an anthology comprised from all of these, plus some others, that will at times throughout the year ring out more loudly than the others, reminding me of the message that part of the whole has for me.

Yes, the Dawning Soundtrack will no doubt contain songs from the 80s and 90s and most likely one or 2 current hits, much like what you find on my iPod...

What it will most certainly NOT contain is screamo and bluegrass...
Sorry, but there ain't nothing going to happen in my life this year that will make either of those genres have any message to me...
At least there better not be!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I have three cds of what I call my Power Songs that I put together a few years ago. Mostly 80s, since I am a child of the 80s. Totally worth the effort.

Have fun with it!

The Blonde Duck said...

Congrats on your 4 lb weight loss! My soundtrack would have a lot of 90s country!