Get PINK ON PURPOSE

Get PINK ON PURPOSE
GET PINK ON PURPOSE

Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Song... A Writer's Workshop Endeavor

Every week Mama Kat sends out 5 writing prompts. The idea is that bloggers can choose one of the prompts to write about and then link it to the Writer's Workshop on Mama Kat's site.
This week I am not crazy about any of the prompts but I'm going with #2:
---Tell us about your song--- 


The only problem with this is...
I don't really have A song.
Sure, I have songs that I really like. 
Songs that I sing along with on the radio.
Songs that make me cringe or smile or wonder what the heck the censors were doing the day that one was released.
But a song that I consider My Song... Nope, nada, can't think of anything.


Unless you count the songs that have meant something to me at various times throughout my life.


Queen's We Will Rock You / We are the Champions...
 that was my football team's song back when I was in grade school and a cheerleader for the community football league... the team that won the county championship every single year for 6 years running.


Then there was Slow Dancin' by Johnny Rivers 

That is the song that I had my very first kiss to... I was 12 and he took my face in his hands and slowly leaned in and gave me a lingering, heart felt kiss... it was Labor Day weekend and the summer of swimming and holding hands while we took long walks in the woods by the river was at an end...

Then there was Sweet's Love is like Oxygen and The Bee Gee's Too Much Heaven...

 Or any BeeGees song for that matter.
My first True Love and I loved the BeeGees. We would sit in his room and we would put on a 45 and drop the needle randomly on the record then would guess the song... in as few notes as possible. The BeeGees, Queen, Alabama, Lee Greenwood, Styx, Air Supply... I know, it was the 70's and let's face it, music was going through some serious transitioning back then. These songs take me back to when things between us were really good and we were really in love and planned to spend the rest of our lives together... before we grew up and got married and had kids and it all went so very wrong...

The 1980's were my high school years. My trying to find myself years and the music that was being put out there was perfect for me... Soft Cell and Adam Ant ...
And Blondie and Madonna and Pat Benetar and Joan Jett and Loverboy...

Disco and Pop and the beginning of Rap and Techno all being played on the same radio stations... it was totally awesome!

Blasphempous Rumors by Depeche Mode and Corey Hart's Never Surrender....


they are the songs that take me to that day in July when my brother was killed in a car accident. Corey Hart's song came in the radio for the first time as I was driving home from identifying his car and personal effects... and it said everything about my brother that was worth remembering...

Bryan Adams and Garth Brooks and Faith Hill and Green Day and Fire House brought me into the 90's and into a new marriage and more kids and more stress and strife and... the chance to be myself for the first time since I was... well in a very long time. I could wear what I wanted, color or cut my hair, have my own friends... and always have the support of my husband in everything I wanted to do.

Butterfly Kisses... that is the song that is my husband and my youngest daughter's song... the song that I heard for the first time when I was driving home from the hospital to take a shower, get fresh clothes... she was 6 days old and had been in a coma for 3 days and the doctor said she may not make it... that her daddy might never get to play soccer in the yard with her, see her off on her first date, walk her down the aisle...
But miracles do happen and she pulled through and she has grown into the beautiful, spoiled, intelligent and caring BratChild...

Linkin Park, Killers, Good Charlotte, Bruno Mars, PINK, Katy Perry... I love them all but I think that the song that best describes me, the me the way I see me?
Well then it would have to be..a song that is a little off, a little strange but in a good way... it would have to be Mr.Big's Green Tinted Sixties Mind...


3 comments:

Arnebya said...

Wow. The pieces of background you give for each song is heartbreaking but inspiring at the same time (I can't listen to any until I get home b/c I'm at work and the govt is all firewall block this! block that! don't let them have fun at work!). I have one song that I'd like to call my theme song: Gladys Knight's Imagination (even though it's about a breakup). When I'm trying hard to be positive, it's Nat King Cole's Pretend You're Happy When You're Blue. Our wedding song still gives me goosebumps though: Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack's You Are My Heaven. Yup. Just got the good shiver.

Pitterle Postings said...

I love that music has been such a part of your life and something that helps you remember. Music for me is wonderful. I don't think I have a particular song, but like you, there are many that remind me of events and moments throughout my life. Love this today.

Margaret said...

Wow what an amazing post! You left a comment on my post and I wanted to come over and read your post and respond to your comment on my blog. The reason I am changing how I am because I don't want my friends to feel how you feel. I am arranging my days different so that I can be their for my friends. Thank you for commenting on my blog. (www.theworldasiseeitbloganddesigns.com)