Get PINK ON PURPOSE

Get PINK ON PURPOSE
GET PINK ON PURPOSE

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Math Is My Friend...okay, not really



Today's post is inspired by the Weekly Writer's Workshop prompt 
5.) Your least favorite subject in school.


And I bet you can tell what it was...

Yep, that's right, MATH!

I hated it.
So much so that I had panic attacks before quizzes.
I actually threw up before my Algebra 1 mid-term...

You would think that I was a terrible math student, right?
But, no.
I got all A's and B's.
I was a very good student...
I just did not 'GET' numbers without hours of studying.

And this was not the norm for me.

Me?
I took notes in my classes and did the drills and class work and homework...
and never looked at a single one of those notes again.

Writing the notes committed the information to memory in every class but one.

Math.

I still hate math.
I use it every day in my job and I am good at converting ml to cc to gr to oz...
I can calculate IV infusion drip rates and double check insulin injection doses with ease...

Or so it would seem to the casual observer.

In reality?

I am sweating on the inside and just hoping that the calculator comes up with the same answer that the calculation in my head did and that they both match the calculation from the pharmacy.

You see, as a nurse a medication error is THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO!

Or at least it is in my eyes...

So, Math is my least favorite subject from school...
but maybe that made it my best subject because I learned to always doubt my answer and double or triple check it...

And in my  line of work...
That  is a good thing!

No comments: