Get PINK ON PURPOSE

Get PINK ON PURPOSE
GET PINK ON PURPOSE

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Embarrassment? ... High School? ... same thing

This post was prompted by this week's writing assignment from Mama Kat's writer's workshop prompt #3 to write about an embarrassing moment as if it were happening in slow motion.

This is my first time doing this so... hope you don't mind if it sucks totally.

There.
Across the room.
Her head comes up, her curls bobbing gently as she turns toward me, tucking an errant strand behind her ear in irritation.

Slowly, she smiles. First one corner of her mouth lifts, then the other. Then her nose crinkles, her eyes sparkle with genuine... warmth and pleasure?

Her chair scrapes across the floor as she deliberately pushes away from the table, and her friends. She stands, and it's as if she has unfolded herself, turning away from the meal before her.
A hand tugs at the waist of her sweater, goes to her neck, then lifts to shoulder height before waving in my direction.

I am surprised she sees me, is waving to me, beckoning me to sit with her.
I feel the tug of what may be a smile pull at my lips, a feathering of breathlessness in my chest. I think to myself, "I am included."

A slight nudge to my back as I begin to raise my hand in response, a murmur of sound in my ear as I list slightly to the left, reaching out to steady myself against the table there.
"You saved me a seat! Thanks!" A voice, moving from my side, toward her table as I right my stance, regain my balance and turn.

She is smiling fully now, all teeth and dimples, as she embraces the voice with warmth and friendship, pulls out a chair for her and they sit, together.

Her head turns my way, as if she senses me there. "Did you want something?" she asks.
I look past her, find a point across the room, pretend there is someone there who is seeking my attention.

As I walk past her table I ignore the frown and slight confusion I see on her face. I ignore someone else at the table saying, "Did she think you were waving to HER?"

I try not to turn red, to die of embarrassment, right there in front of everyone.
And I try not to hear her say, "Why? She's not too bad, just different, that's all."
One step in front of the other, then another and another, until I am free of that table, those girls, her.

She was a friend, once, but no longer. I sit and wait, watching the seconds tick by in agony, until the lunch period is over and I can escape into the crowd of drones shuffling toward their next classes.

A deep breath, my throat hurts from the swallowed tears. I grip my books with whitened knuckles and join the parade, zombie-like, moving forward, never once looking back.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah shame. I feel for you. Love the way you presented it, so your fear of this sucking, was way off!

Anonymous said...

UGH... I hated high school! Why does everyone wanna go back there? lol Great post and great writing! Stopping by from mama kats!

M.Jay. said...

You discribed that so well, I felt like I was her in that moment... feeling my face get hot from the embarrasment. Really well wrote.
Visitin from Mama Kat's.
www.asomeeficamommy.blogspot.com

scrapwordsmom said...

Oh, wow. This could have been an experience I wrote about. You did a VERY good job of using words to conjure up the appropriate image/feelings. {hope that makes sense it's really earl0LOL}

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog Words Of Me. I appreciate it!! I will stop by your again and take a longer read. I am off today to take a very good friend to the airport.

Leslie

Tanya said...

This such a great post. Why does high school have to suck like that? Something about it never really leaves us and reading your post brought me instantly back. If we went to high school together you could have sat at my table!
Have a great day!

Lesley said...

Been there....not fun....mean girls SUCK...your post totally didn't. :) This was great, I completely identify with it, and I could feel the same insecure feelings as the scene played out.

Found you through Mama Kat's. New follower, would love for you to follow me back!

Melva said...

Oh gosh.......That is mortifying, sad, and reality I guess. Why are kids so mean? ....You did a good job because I'm filled with emotion... :)

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I think the definition of high school IS embarrassment! Aren't you glad you don't have to go through that ordeal again?

The Mommy Mambo said...

Awww. Mean girls. (love that movie) The anxiety of lunch in high school still haunts my dreams!
Great post. Even if it was your first with us, Ilove your writing style. It captured me from the first sentence.

kt moxie said...

GREAT post. I think you just expressed a moment that so many of us have experienced!

BusyMom said...

Just wanted to say thank you to those who have already commented and those who may read this later and make a comment.
Believe it or not, for me, this was the easiest of the writing choices for this assignment!
the last 2 posts were very difficult to write -emotionally- but tomorrow's... it was fun.
And informative... :0)

Dumb Mom said...

That was like a movie. High school sucked for everyone at some point, even the people who made it seem like it didn't. It's just a microcosm of the rest of our lives.

Jennifer said...

Very well-written. I could absolutely see, feel and imagine everything you described. Everyone else is right.. high school sucked, I would never go back there! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. I'm glad I followed you here, I love what I see!

Christy said...

That was so wonderfully written! oh, I have done that more than once ... and it sucks each time!

Cheryl said...

Ugh. I SO felt for you. Being "different" was no good in high school. Now? It's the best thing ever. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Aww..I rememeber sucky days like those ones.
You wrote it wonderfully tho.

Kaelin said...

you wrote this beautifully! had me right there with you...

Lindsay said...

Stopping by from Mama Kat's. Aah, high school. So glad it's in the past! Especially awkward lunch days... those were the worst.

AiringMyLaundry said...

You wrote this so well.

High school wasn't terrible for me, but it wasn't the best time of my life either.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this....WOW...I never thought about writing some of my painful memories. Where did you get this idea from? What site?? Or what blog?? Or who are you following? Sorry! I am REALLY sorry this happened. I was tortured by mainly two girls from 5th grade until almost into college. I was surrounded in an enviornment that I couldn't escape. I do feel your pain. This was VERY well written. I am sorry this happened to you. I am sorry it made you cry and made you feel the way you did. I hope you can let go of this memory and know that some people are just NOT worth YOUR time. You are better then them because I betcha you wouldn't treat someone like that. They were very cruel and rude. I am sorry. Peace and love and don't dwell on this memory. It will only bring you down. I found you through blogfog. I am glad I did. I stumbled upon you. :) Much love.

Carrie