Get PINK ON PURPOSE

Get PINK ON PURPOSE
GET PINK ON PURPOSE

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

From One Mother to Another... this job is HARD!

I am trying.

Really. I am.

Oh, what am I trying?

Well, to do better, be better, stop expecting my kids to actually listen to me when I talk.... take your pick!

Seriously, I want to know where the ON/OFF switch to a teens brain is located.
Or maybe, I just need to find the VOLUME button and turn the receiver up.

I know my mouth is moving and the sound is coming out, but the kids... they just turn and walk away.

As a parent WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

Can't send them to bed hungry.
Can't take their books away from them.
Can't threaten them with bodily harm to make them listen.

What is a parent to do?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

You got nothing too...

6 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

I hear ya! My eleven-year-old is guilty of all of the above. What will I do when he's a teenager?

Look how wonderful sending a kid to bed without supper worked in Where the Wild Things Are.

Hang in there!

Cybil said...

yea - I got nothing! When you find the answer, please let me know!

Cheryl said...

The rumor is that you CAN send them to bed hungry. Their natural instincts will kick in and they won't let themselves starve.
I do look for those switches on my kids too. Seems that there was a manufacturing defect and mine came with out. Is duct tape allowed? ;)

The Guy's Perspective said...

My nine year old even exhibits some of the behavior you describe. But he buckles under the pressure of no food. He's kind of wimpy like that.

My middle guy. OMG! He just says, "Whatever" He's going to be a handful.

I guess you could take away sports games or going out w/friends. But even that can backfire.

I'd say good old fashioned dialogue. I find car rides are good for that. Maybe to get some food he likes? Captive audience to talk. Good luck!

BusyMom said...

TeenBoy and I spent 5 days together on our recent New Orleans trip. 2500 miles total with 1200 spent in one 18 hour trip home. WE talked. We laughed. We had a really good time. I try to touch on some of that now that we are back to 'normal' life but... he is 14 and he is head-strong and full of conviction... my only desire is to keep him from one day being convicted!

Nancy said...

I don't got nothin...I got blogging and my bloggy friends, and all that good stuff. Helps to let it all hang out and know YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
They can be pains in the....
And we love 'em anyway!