Get PINK ON PURPOSE

Get PINK ON PURPOSE
GET PINK ON PURPOSE

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Poet and Hero... something to Think about
'Trees' by Joyce Kilmer





I THINK that I shall never see
A Poem as lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet Earth's flowing breast.

A tree who looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray.

A tree who may in Summer wear
A nest of Robins in her hair.

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

I love this poem.
My mother quoted it to me when I was about 8, I think, and it stuck.
When I got older I wanted to know more about this Joyce Kilmer person, so I struck out to see what I could find.

Joyce Kilmer is a MAN, Yep! He was actually in WWl and was a decorated Hero having been given the French Croix de Guerre for bravery. He was a member of the earliest intelligence corps and died in battle protecting the men serving with him.

He had worked for Wagner & Funk's as an editor for their dictionary, and for The New York Times.
He was born, and grew up in, New Jersey. He was successful; had a wife and children.

And was considered the Premier American Catholic Poet alive when he enlisted in the military at the age of 30.

I HOPE that I should never have to see,
Men as brave and God-Loving as he...

But I am glad they exist, and that they are first and foremost Men of Intelligence, Honor and Love for their Families and Their Faith...

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Wow, I did not know that was written by a man and a very important one at that ;-) I've been making wire trees for Spring and that picture you have of that beautiful tree reminds me of it..
Thanks for dropping by my blog

Cindy